20 March 2006

hard knock life

"Don't if feel like the wind is always howlin?
Don't it seem like there's never any light??
Once a day, don't you wanna throw the towel in?
It's easier than puttin' up a fight!"

ok, so i quoted a kids musical.. so what? it's one of those days. there just isnt a better way to say it. the theological debates and back-and-forths about what is and isn't right and what should and shouldn't be continue.

highlights from today (things said to/argued at me):

can a christian still be "possessed"? if he hears supernatural voices, what does it mean- he isnt a christian, or he's a lyer?

why do people need to be counselled? untill a hundred years ago there was no need.. why do we suddenly turn to it? that just shows how weak we are. but no matter how long you pull someone along, they need to really just fall and either they find christ in doing so, or they dont.

how can a christian still be dealing with addictions (of any kind)? they are living in disobiedience and either havent understood the will of God or are choosing to defy him. as soon as they have christ in their lives, if the conversion is real, they should immediately leave all else behind.

any thoughts out there? i realize these statements are balony. definatly. but dealing with very sincere, well meaning, very Bible based christians who have alot of Gods commands in their heads and little of his love in their hearts.... but who am i to talk... i am just a woman.

yours truly
little annie

3 Comments:

At 21:04, Blogger Unknown said...

There is both sense and nonsense in some of these. (I can almost hear you getting ready to hit me)

I'm not sure what to tell you about the "Can a christian still be possessed?" thing. I know I was raised to think that impossible, but I also am (mildly) aware of the situation. So, I am confused by it. I will ask you this though: Would the Holy Spirit share a temple with a demon?

I think you should read the book that I happen to know your much cooler than you (:-p) friend bought. (when she gets it) The Spirit of the Rainforest. I think that might help you in this matter a bit. The book has quite a lot of testimony from Shamans who became Christians. Shamans (at least, these shamans) absorb (can we say possession?) evil spirits. The book discusses in detail what it was like giving them up for Christ. (It's a really good book)

I think we all need mentoring in our walk with Christ. The church is a community. We are told to look after the weak among us. Not just the weak not among us.

1We who are strong ought to bear with the failings of the weak and not to please ourselves. 2Each of us should please his neighbor for his good, to build him up. 3For even Christ did not please himself but, as it is written: "The insults of those who insult you have fallen on me." 4For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope.

5May the God who gives endurance and encouragement give you a spirit of unity among yourselves as you follow Christ Jesus, 6so that with one heart and mouth you may glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.

7Accept one another, then, just as Christ accepted you, in order to bring praise to God.


Romans 15:1-7

Also, Timothy was mentored to by Paul. The books of 1st and 2nd Timothy are written as instructions to Timothy later on as Paul continued his mentorship from afar! Nor was Timothy the only one whom Paul mentored! What about Barnabas? What about Silus? What about Titus?

We are weak. Would we need God if we were strong? We don't need to prove the strength of God. God proves the strength of God.

Not every Christian will loose an "addiction" right away. An addiction is a habbitual love for something. If I am addicted to smoking, that is because I love smoking. If I am addicted to God, that is because I love God. The thing we need to remember is that we must pledge ourselves wholy to God, wholy to Christ. We should not allow our other addictions to stand in the way. That is when they truly become bad: When the things we are addicted to become more important than God and His will.

We like to call only bad addictions "addictions". Whether that be drugs, alchohol, sex, cigarettes, violence, language, lust, whatever, we call only these kinds of things "addictions." These are the things we say people should "get over". But, how many people need to get over an addiction to life? How many need to get over an addiction to TV? How many need to get over an addiciton to luxury? We call these things good. We call these things blessings. How could we do without them though? I am aware of my own fear of even the idea of giving up my wonderful computer, my enjoyable truck, my really cool DLP projector, my many books, my varied music, and even my fluffy cat. Yet, if God ever plans to put a call on me away from here (and I find myself hoping more that He does), I will have to give up all of these things. They're things I am addicted to, but they are not bad until the day comes that I can not give them up for the glory of The Kingdom and The King.

Cate, you are sounding off in anger, and I think I can understand why. It's hard sometimes to explain things to people when all they can see is the black and white letters; not the words, sentances, paragraphs, chapters, pages, and books. You should also be careful not to forget to love them though. You will never win an argument through viscious and spiteful defense. Win it smart, win it well, win it with compassion and care.

 
At 21:08, Blogger Unknown said...

just for the record :
My first sentance (which I just reread) is referring to the arguments stated in your post. :-p

 
At 23:04, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hang in there Cate. Just because they're Christians dosn't guarantee they're right.

: )

Murray

 

Post a Comment

<< Home